Clinton Home For Sale
The town overlooks the Long Island Sound, lies 38 miles south of Hartford in Middlesex County.
Centrally located between New York City and Boston, Clinton is also within comfortable commuting distance of the metropolitan industrial centers of New Haven, Middletown and New London.
This town is a summer shoreline destination and offers something for everyone all year round. This includes the annual Bluefish Festival, parks, beaches, shops, galleries, marinas, outlet shopping, a winery and numerous historic sites.
Clinton Village Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and includes the town green also known as the Liberty Green Historic District. The Historical Society runs the Buell Tool Museum and the Clinton Historical Society Museum located in the oldest brick home between New Haven and New London and is fondly referred to as, Old Brick.
Clinton Crossing Premium Outlets, a Simon Center shopping outlet, offers a designer and fashion brand outlets for local residents and international shoppers. Some of the shops include Brooks Brothers, Cafe Au Lait, Carter’s, Cole Haan, Gap Factory, Lindt, Movado, Saks Off Fifth, Talbots, Timberland, Under Armour and more.
If all that historical walking and shopping worked up an appetite there are plenty of local restaurants to satisfy your hunger. One of our favorite spots is also our favorite local winery, Chamard Vineyards. Established in 1983 and growing grapes on 20 acres Chamard is only a few miles from the outlets. They are open all year long and offer farm to table French-American cuisine, live music, custom wine tasting and a beautiful serene atmosphere.
If you prefer a more rustic atmosphere head over to Lobster Landing. They dish out amazing lobster rolls with a harbor water view, picnic tables and casual comfortable atmosphere. The lobster rolls are simple and delicious with 1/4 cup lobster meat on a toasted hot dog bun. Do expect to wait in line and pay for the quality food.
Our community offers residents access to a number of fine private and public schools for all grade levels. Please read below for information on each of the schools in our area.
|Abraham Pierson School||75 East Main St, 06413||4-5||No|
|Lewin G. Joel Jr. School||137a Glenwood Rd, 06413||PK-3||No|
|Abraham Pierson School||75 East Main St, 06413||4-5||No|
|Jared Eliot School||69 Fairy Dell Rd, 06413||4, 6-8||No|
|The Morgan School||27 Killingworth Turnpike, 06413||9-12||No|
Founded in 1663 on land that had been home to the Homenoscitt people, the town of Clinton originally encompassed the area that includes the present towns of Clinton and Killingworth. The town’s original name was Homenoscitt Plantation but in 1667 the Court of Election at Hartford changed the name to Kenilworth, probably at the request of Edward Griswold, one of the town’s first settlers, who had originally emigrated from Kenilworth, England. Over time, due to the vagaries of spelling and pronunciation, the town became known as Killingworth.
In granting permission for creation of the new settlement, the government in Hartford required that at least thirty families settle in the town and that provision be made for the support of a minister. Bryan Rossiter of Guilford laid out thirty equitable plots along what is today Main Street between Route 81 and Route 145. Each of the original thirty residents received three parcels: a plot on which to build a house; a salt marsh on which they could grow salt hay to feed their animals; and a wood lot from which wood could be cut for heat, housing, and cooking.
Although the settlers believed that legal title to the property had been granted by the state, they nonetheless purchased the land from the Mohegan/Pequot tribe in 1669. Uncas, the Sachem or chief of the Mohegans, sold the new inhabitants all but six acres of land within the town, and the tribes continued to live on what became known as “Indian Acres” off Commerce Street. The Mohegans also retained the rights to hunt in the woods, fish in the rivers, and use any trees they needed for canoes.
In 1694, Abraham Pierson was called to become pastor at the Congregational Church. Pierson was so well-respected that he was one of ten prominent ministers who were selected as trustees to form a new college. Although the trustees wanted to locate the college in Old Saybrook, Pierson refused to move there so the first classes for what was then called the Collegiate School were held in Clinton, in Pierson’s home which was located on Main Street where the Stanton House now stands. Upon Pierson’s death, the Collegiate School was moved to New Haven and was given a new name: Yale.
By 1734, the farmers who lived in the northern parts of Killingworth began talking about forming a new society, to ease the burdens of travel. For them, the five mile journey from their homes and farms in the “wilderness” — in the north — to the Congregational Church in the center of town was extremely difficult. Often they traveled on foot or on horseback, in bad weather, across minimal roads. Attendance at church was so integral to the life of the town that it was practically mandatory, so the northerners decided to separate from the southern portion of Killingworth, build their own church and meetinghouse, and form their own society. In 1838, Killingworth was officially divided into two towns. The northerners retained the name Killingworth, while the shoreline residents adopted the name Clinton, possibly in honor of Geoffrey de Clinton, Lord Chamberlain and Treasurer of England during the 12th century, whose manor and castle are located in Kenilworth, England.
Clinton’s history continued to blossom with visits from none other than Benjamin Franklin, Colonial Postmaster General, who personally determined the site of a Boston Post Road milestone marker on Main Street. The milestone marked the distance — 25 miles — from that spot to New Haven. As Clinton thrived, hundreds of trading ships were built and launched from Clinton’s shipyards and the Ponds Extract Company (now part of Unilever) set up shop in town to harvest, process, and bottle witch hazel. For generations, vacationers, artists, and year-round residents have found pleasure and a deep community spirit at our shore. Since 1938, the Clinton Historical Society has researched, recorded, and shared stories of Clinton’s past. To learn more, please visit our library and archives, a rich resource for information about the history of our town.
Source Clinton Historical Society
The information provided is for consumers' personal, noncommercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. All properties are subject to prior sale or withdrawal. All information provided is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed accurate, and should be independently verified.